Saturday, December 9, 2006
Apnea?
So, Wednesday the 6th, Tre` had a GI appointment. We were supposed to get there at 1:30 and ended up getting there at 3:15. It’s hard to get all of his equipment and him situated when we go out. We have a Go Bag, which consist of trach supplies, first aid equipment, etc. It’s about the size of a standard carry on. Then we have the diaper bag, his wheel chair, a portable suction machine, PulseOx monitor, his vent (which weighs a ton and has to be carried by one person while the other carries him. ), a toy (it’s a necessity), and Tre`. Not to mention the fact that it was cold. All this has to go WHERE EVER he goes. We don’t take the heater; he wears something called a heat and moister exchanger. It’s supposed to keep the airway moist and warm so his secretions aren’t thick and plugy.

He got a MIC-KEY button placed instead of the standard G-Tube. We weren’t sure if it was a go because his stoma had to be dilated twice already in preparation for the MIC-KEY. The doctor took one look and said it was a go. Surprisingly, he showed no signs of pain. It went in smoothly with very little blood. I like it a lot better because it’s less likely to get pulled as Tre` learned to do. It’s also less noticeable to onlookers.

We got home at about 7:15. I stayed inside to undress and change his diaper while HD went back and forth unloading the truck. His vent alarmed apnea. I lifted his shirt to see what was going on. His PulseOx monitor had his SATs at 100 and his HR 150’s. Looked great, however, he was pulling a lot more. I started to talk to him to get some reactions and again he was fine. The alarm kept ringing apnea while his rub muscles went up and down so hard I can clearly see his stomach, liver, and spleen (enlarged liver and spleen from damage).

I called out to my DH. “Hey Babe.” He didn’t respond. “Babe!” I was more annoyed. “Yeah, what’s up?” He finally heard me. “Wash your hands and come in here.” I said. “Is everything ok?” “His vent is reading apnea, honey.” So he ran upstairs and to the bathroom to wash his hands while I described everything I seen and see. DH check all tubing while I checked Tre`. Everything was were it was supposed to be. To keep us both calm I decided to suction him. I went down and got nothing back. Normally, we go down to 10cm. I couldn’t feel anything and I looked to see that his SATs went to 95. I went down to 11.5cm (I wouldn’t recommend anyone doing it unless necessary!) I pulled some THICK secretions. I went down again and pulled more out. I put some saline down his track and pulled out two large plugs. After going back I didn’t get anything out. I’m happy he ok and that I didn’t have to lavage him.

His vent stopped alarming and I called the on-cal at his Pulm office. He basically said that he’s not sure if the plug had anything to do with the exchanger. The only thing he really worried about is the apnea.
posted by Tre's Mom @ 11:41 AM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me


Name: Tre's Mom
Home: The Jersey Shore, New Jersey, United States
About Me:
See my complete profile

Previous Post
Archives
Tre's Friends
Links
Template By
Free Blogger Templates