Tuesday, December 12, 2006
Tummy Time Vs. IVH Grade IV?
Tre` doesn’t really like being on his tummy, anymore. When he was smaller he’d LOVE being on his belly. If it was left up to him he’d live there no questions asked. After his trach, he was put on his belly a lot less because he needed to “adapt” to his new form of breathing. Then after the trach came the G-tube and he needed to “adapt” and heal some more.

Today, if he’s put on his belly it’s a fight to the finish. He would only last about two to five minutes TOPS before he cries and fusses. I’m talking REAL tears!

He’s way behind in the tummy time so much so he can’t lift his upper body and he barely turns his head in this position. I have been trying him out more and more but I’m not seeing any improvements. To make matters even worse I don’t know if we’re talking late development or his brain injury, hydrocephalus (IVH Grade IV/ severe).

It’s not easy when you don’t know. I’m constantly doing research on IVH Grade IV, but I feel like I’m alone with it. Luckily, not too many kids have this grade of brain bleed.
I found a somewhat detailed summary of Grades I through IV.


Intraventricular Hemorrhage

How will I know if my baby will have long term problems?

This can only be determined over time by monitoring his/her development. For this reason it is important for premature infants, especially those with IVH, to have their development followed carefully after discharge. Serious abnormalities that may appear are:

motor (movement) problems:
tight or stiff muscles
slow to crawl, stand, or walk
abnormal crawling, toe walking
moving one side more than the other
frequent arching of the back (not just when angry or at play)

slow mental development:

does not listen to your voice by age 3-4 months after hospital discharge
does not make different sounds by 8-9 months after discharge
doesn't seem to understand or say any words by 12-13 months after discharge
seizure also called convulsions
deaf
blind
Less serious problems appear more slowly, are more difficult to detect, and may not be obvious until preschool or grade school. These can include:

poor coordination or balance
specific learning disabilities (math or reading)
very short attention span
behavioral problems
difficulty with activities that require coordination of the eyes and hands, for example, catching a ball or copying a simple drawing
need for glasses

I’m the type of person that just can’t leave things alone and accept what has been told to me. While he was in the hospital they told me that he may not walk, play, etc. They were wrong about a lot of things besides they aren’t his parents and obviously they don’t believe. I am praying that my son lives a comfortable life. Not to accommodate me but to allow my son to thrive and grow for himself. I said in a prayer that I will take my son anyway I can have him…alive. I still stand by my word with that, too. I believe he’ll catch up. Better late than never.

Click on this thumbnail. We have 2 trouble makers!!
Two trouble makers
posted by Tre's Mom @ 4:53 PM  
1 Comments:
  • At December 12, 2006 at 9:52:00 PM EST, Blogger ~k~ said…

    D- You know I'm dealing with many of the unknowns as well. Different causes to be sure, but when I read your list I could check off ever warning sign and possible complication. It's almost exactly what I was told.

    What really compelled me to comment was that I,too, have been struggling with trying to differentiate between the "normal" development of a preemie and the development of a baby with dd's brain abnormality. It is a very hard road to travel and wanted to say you're not alone in that respect. Hugs, Mamma.
    (If you don't know, this is Kim from pp)

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me


Name: Tre's Mom
Home: The Jersey Shore, New Jersey, United States
About Me:
See my complete profile

Previous Post
Archives
Tre's Friends
Links
Template By
Free Blogger Templates