Sunday, December 17, 2006
If it’s not one thing it’s another
It’s been almost a week since I’ve posted. Tre’ has had two apnea episodes in a week’s time. I don’t know if it has anything to do with his heat moisture exchanger or not but both episodes accrue after he has been off his vent heater for a long period of time. He never dropped his saturations below 97, his HR stays baseline, and he’s showed no signs of distress.

His vent monitor kept ringing apnea, repeatedly. I suctioned him once and got nothing out. That’s typical. However, I suctioned him again using saline and I pulled a small mucus plus out his trach. Once I reconnected him the apnea alarm desisted. This happened BOTH times. I have notified his doctor and explained everything. He’s more concerned about the apnea than anything else. That’s rightly so but we still don’t know why it has happened or if it will happen again. Still, he cannot explain it and his only suggestion was to “watch.”

For the last 24 hours (or a week after apnea episodes) his monitor has been registering him deSating into the mid to lower 80’s. Again looking at him he looks “pink.” He’s moving air, no nose flairs, happy, just fine. His nurse said this morning said that she noticed theses deSats only during coughing spells that may be related to reflux. I can take that into consideration because he refluxed 30x during his MILK scan on the 11th. HOWEVER, during these daSating occurrences, I observed no coughing. This really boggles my mind. Just looking at him, he looks essentially normally but his monitors tell me a different story.

Within the next two weeks, Vic and I will have to discuss another possible surgery. Apparently, the results of his MILK scan gave his doctor grounds to call me and make a suggestion of a Nissen. This was something we have been trying to avoid for sometime now. When he got his G-Tube his then doctor recommended a Nissen but no other doctor found it necessary at the time. Now that the term Nissen is back and haunting me, I find myself “drowning.”

He has had so many surgeries and while some may think I’m use to them, I am not. I never have and possibly never will. This is my son I’m talking about. He’s a part of me. He’s my flesh, my blood, my only son, and I am his only mother. I feel helpless. My baby can’t tell me when something hurts him and I could barely hear his cries above his trach. Before I get too emotional, I will leave this as it is..

This is a thumbnail
Chubby fingers

posted by Tre's Mom @ 10:38 PM  
1 Comments:
  • At December 18, 2006 at 10:01:00 PM EST, Blogger Kellie said…

    ((HUGS)) Dwana. I hope that Stinka Man doesn't need the fundo but know that even though it has a lot of potential complications that sound very scary, it can save lives and especially, lungs. It has saved Eli's life and I am forever grateful for that. We did everything in our power to avoid it too but it finally came down to him needing a bilateral lung transplant, dying, or the Nissen. Needless to say we choose the Nissen.

    If you have questions or just need support, e-mail me. Also find your e-mail or create a new account at P2P b/c they have a lot of kiddos there with fundos and great fundo advice/support. Give those chubby cheeks a squeeze for me.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me


Name: Tre's Mom
Home: The Jersey Shore, New Jersey, United States
About Me:
See my complete profile

Previous Post
Archives
Tre's Friends
Links
Template By
Free Blogger Templates