Monday, July 28, 2008
Footloose and Tonsil Free
Woman In Rollers I’m beginning to think that absolutely nothing can be uneventful with us. For starters his surgery was almost three hours late. I was “ok” with that. I completely understand that there are emergencies and add-ons all the time. We were just getting antsy because we basically had to prepare ourselves so we were less nervous.
Once we were in the pre-op room Tre` was given a sedative to calm him down….which didn’t work of course. This child was all over the place. He threw this, hit that, he even ripped off his hospital band. I don’t know how he did that! I know I can’t.
ANYWHO, about a half hour after entering the OR (operating room) the doctor/ surgeon called on the waiting room phone. She informed Vic that his tonsils went from 2+ to 3, she also found pus where the tracheostomy ends. We hadn’t noticed any changes with his daily trach care but he also wasn’t due for another trach change. She initially wanted to do a T&A but decided (without our knowledge) that she would also do a revision (to remove scar tissue on or around area) of his trach. She did a culture (which we STILL haven’t received the results) and told us she could not do a revision in fear that it could cause in infection. However, a T&A would be fine.
After surgery, we spoke to the doctor. She said that despite her little discovery everything went well. He was started on antibiotics and the cultures were sent. She also wanted him to have Tylenol with Codine Q4 (every four hours). We were also given an idea about our new “game plan.” If it wasn’t for the bacteria he would have been capped in recovery but she didn’t want to overwork him, either. Now I will schedule an appointment in about a month for round two of the capping. I’m keeping my fingers crossed.
So Tre` gets into ICU (because he has a trach) and he’s so groggy. Once we went to sleep Vic and I went to check into our hotel and return. He began to wake up about an hour after our return. At about 9-ish, he was obviously in pain. It was completely obvious he was in pain. He was crying and his heart rate, saturation, and respiratory rate climbed all over the place.
I asked his nurse, “When is the next time he’s due for pain medication?”
She looked at his chart and said, “There are no orders for pain meds.”
“What?” Yes, I was floored
“No, there was nothing written.”
Voodoo “Murder, death, kill” was the only thing functioning in my now pulsating mind. Victor got to the bottom of it while I kept watch of my “cub.” By the time he returned the orders were written. They ended up keeping him an extra day for observation, which is typical (that’s why I booked the room for two days).
So we’re back now he’s so not into eating but he’s talking more.
Until next time, here are a few thumbnailsSmileyCentral.com:

He JUST realized he was having surgery
He was given something to calm him down
He looks totally different, right?


I'll explain the pink phone later
After surgery
Still not in the mood to smile

posted by Tre's Mom @ 3:08 PM  
3 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me


Name: Tre's Mom
Home: The Jersey Shore, New Jersey, United States
About Me:
See my complete profile

Previous Post
Archives
Tre's Friends
Links
Template By
Free Blogger Templates