Monday, July 21, 2008
Number 14

Soooo this is surgery/ procedure number 14 for Tre and I'm a nervous wreck for more than one reason. First, HELLO it's surgery. Second, I'm worried about possible infection, side effects, and his discomfort. I’ve heard people talk about eating ice cream, etc. Well, this kid doesn’t like ice cream! The closest thing I’d have to give him is Italian ice (he shares RARELY with his dad) or yogurt.

He was always able to bounce back after a procedure earlier on but they were also so close together. I recall a time where he didn't cry with shots/ immunizations and later his world was caving in if he saw a needle. WTH. This is a child that would bump his head and act as if nothing happened. NOW, when he bumps his head he is so emotional.

He's due for a tonsillectomy on the 23rd. After his bronc it was discovered that he had 2+ tonsils and very minimal scar tissue (which caught everyone by surprise.) The scar tissue was so insignificant that she may not bother with it during surgery. Children and adults with trachs will have some scar tissue but with Tre's history we expected a lot more. He still occasionally pulls at his trach and it's rushed back in but obviously without damage. We were told that he will be there overnight or longer. I’ve been so nervous about this that I haven’t been able to function.

This is a very important procedure. His ENT doctor believes that it will improve his chances of kicking the tracheostomy. She attempted to cap (The cap is designed to facilitate tracheostomy tube weaning and voice restoration. These caps are intended for use with fenestrated or uncuffed tracheostomy tubes only. ) him in her office but was unsuccessful. He was working too hard for anyone’s comfort. In his defense, dad and I knew he was ready but Tre` had JUST started a cold. He was congested days before his appointment.

So we're at #14 and sadly there's more to come. We'll cross that bridge when we get there...not before.
posted by Tre's Mom @ 5:15 PM  
2 Comments:
  • At July 21, 2008 at 11:39:00 PM EDT, Blogger Jessica said…

    GLAD to see an update! I was wondering whats been going on!!! I'll be thinking of you all and hoping the surgery goes smoothly....whats the status with the trach? I haven't been on any boards in ages...so I am out of the loop!

     
  • At July 22, 2008 at 8:57:00 AM EDT, Blogger Tre's Mom said…

    Glad to be back Jessica! Hugs. I miss you guys a lot.
    Now his trach should have already been on its way out by now but during a doctor’s visit to be capped with ENT. His performance wasn’t what she wanted to see. He was working too hard to breathe and no one wanted to risk anything happening. We knew he had a cold but I was disappointed that she didn’t want to see him again sooner.
    Our original plan was get a bronc (discuss any repairs if needed), to get capped, have a sleep study, and after two months or so pull the trach. No surgery is necessary for decannulation. The stoma would eventually close on its own. The entire process would have been no more than three months. We were all aiming for Summer. This way we wouldn’t have to worry about the colder months.
    NOW after surgery, I guess we will discuss our next move. I don’t want to jinx anything but I have a funny feeling. Hey we’d either have to wait until next Spring or during the Fall.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me


Name: Tre's Mom
Home: The Jersey Shore, New Jersey, United States
About Me:
See my complete profile

Previous Post
Archives
Tre's Friends
Links
Template By
Free Blogger Templates